The story of Tucker Ray, a 27-weeker with many diagnoses, and his baby brother, Easton John, a 34 weeker aka big brother's shadow. Here I post about the challenges and joys of working full time, caring for two rambunctious boys with my husband, and leaning on God for wisdom in the midst of the chaos.
Monday, June 19, 2006
Sorry I didn't post yesterday. Here is yesterday's update.
So it was Father's Day yesterday, and we went to see Tucker. Tucker got his daddy a card, and so did I. The doctor had already called, and he said that Tucker was getting weaned a little off of the vent. Baby step, of course, but they all add up.When we went to see him, Chris wore his "I'm a new Daddy" pin that Tonia got for him. Tucker was just laying around, like normal. His nurse said he did not act up yesterday. She was on her sixth day in a row with him, so he was good for her. Chris talked to Tucker and told him all of the things they will do when he comes home, like going to LSU games and riding in his boat-since Tucker's coming home fully grown. I told them both that was not happening until Tucker was older-I am no fun.
He is still getting the same amount of food as before, (6.5 ml per hour) but they added more calories to help him gain weight. It worked, b/c he was weighed last night, and he gained three ounces.He is at 2 pounds, 5 ounces now:)Nana and Pappy (that's my mom and dad-we're not quite sure about that Pappy name-he chose it himself) went see him yesterday, and he was on his tummy. He has never been on his tummy, so I am anxious so see that.I called the nurse to ask what being on his tummy is about, and she said that it helps him breathe better. Babies usually aren't allowed on their tummies b/c of sleep apnea (short stops in his breathing), but since he's hooked up to so many monitors, they'll know if he stops breathing. His oxygen support was down to 62%, so that's good. He goes up and down all day. Oxygen support is not the same as sats. Regular air has about 16% or 26% oxygen in it (I don't remember which), but most people can still pull the oxygen out and breathe fine. Tucker needs extra oxygen in his air in order for him to breathe it in and get it in his bloodstream (which helps his sats). Tucker is usually b/t 90% and 100% support. When his sats stay over 95% for awhile, then his support can be moved down, and it stays down as long as his sats are okay. If his sats and his support are low enough, then I think that's when they change his actual ventilator settings-there are three settings, and the doctors and nurses have a hard time explaining them to me.
Uncle Andrew bought Tucker a little Astros bat and an LSU football, so we're going to see if we can put them in his isolette. Aunt Gina wrote Tucker a song, by the way, so I might post it if she gives me permission. Also, Tucker's nametag on his bed is on a frog now. When he was born, it was a fish, which is perfect b/c his dad (and grandpas, and every other male relative) is going to take him fishing. Now it is on a frog, which is funny b/c it is frogging season-I doubt the nurses knew that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment