Monday, September 11, 2006

The Awakening

Tucker woke up yesterday. They stopped his Pavulon around 3 pm, and he woke up at 530. His nurse Lindsay called us to say that he was awake and being really happy and quiet. We had already visited him at lunchtime, but he was asleep. So we jumped in the car and headed over to the hospital again. When we parked, Chris said, "hang on a minute." So I sat there, and he ran in! Literally, he ran in the parking garage-he must have looked like a nut-a grown man running around. So then I caught up with him, and we scrubbed in at the desk. We went in to see him, and he was looking around and opening and closing his mouth, like "wow, there's no tubes in here anymore." We talked to him a little bit, then I put his paci in his mouth-he latched on and wouldn't let go. Within a few minutes, he was back asleep. Chris said it's b/c I tell boring stories. I think Tucker had just been awake for awhile already. Linsday said they checked him in and changed his trach ties-and he just laid there quietly the whole time. She said this is not the same baby as before. He was so content. He still does not look quite like himself-very puffy from the meds and from being still for so long. Also, putting on clothes will help-that might not happen for a few days. Maybe he will be awake for a little longer each day so we can play with him and talk to him. In a few days we might hold him. So let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment