Monday, July 5, 2010

Weekend at the Lake

Chris, Tucker, and I spent the 4th of July weekend at Lake Concordia. It is about two hours away from our house, near the Mississippi border. My sister Sarah and her boyfriend Brad invited us, they go every year with a bunch of their friends and they thought Tucker would enjoy it.
From the pictures I am posting, you will see they were right!!!
Chris and I went back and forth about the decision to go....usually when we have the option to go somewhere, we err on the side of staying home!! Chris is definitely a homebody (that's the Townsend side in him), but he also loves outdoors activities and hanging out with Brad. Sarah promised us our own room (I wanted to make sure Tucker had a quiet place to get away from the grown-ups, and a place that I could take Tucker to in case he aggravated the grown ups!!), so we decided to go. There were 14 adults and one kid...Tucker! Kyle brought his bulldog Bo, and Christine brought her Doberman Samson, so Tucker at least had some playmates:) Tucker tried to ride Samson a few times, and he of course fed both dogs until I had to take his food away!
The three of us have spent a few nights in a hotel before, but we have not taken a "vacation" in years. We took Tucker to the beach with my whole family when he had just turned one. He just layed around (haha), and was therefore very easy to keep track of!! Both my mom and Chris's mom have warned us several times that this weekend would be more work than fun, and as my mom said "look for the small moments of fun, don't expect the whole weekend to be fun."
Well, they were not kidding!! Tucker had the most energy I have ever seen him have, and that is saying something! He barely wanted to sleep, let alone nap! Our room was upstairs, and he loved going up the stairs just to turn around and go back down. There were a lot of "no"s and "don't touch that"s!! The house was right on the lake, so he wore a life vest any time he was outside, but since he is literally fearless, we had to keep a very close eye on him!!
Nick and Kyle brought their boats, and Tucker LOVED riding on them! Here is a picture of Chris and Tucker on Nick's boat. My daddy took us boat riding all the time when we were little, but of course riding on a boat was not an option for Tucker for a long time due to his trach.
Chris and some of the guys jumped out of the boat to swim a little, and of course Tucker was right behind them!
Brad and Sarah had joked about putting Tucker on a tube, so he could go tubing behind the boat. I had objected to it of course! Daddy and Brad are the fun ones, not Mommy! But when I saw that the tube fit 4 riders, I thought it would be okay as long as Chris and I both went along. To say Tucker loved it would be an understatement:) I tired of it much sooner than he did!
We also took turns riding on Kyle's boat. Kyle and Brad do a lot of wakeboarding and kneeboarding, so they have all kinds of contraptions on this boat, including a stereo system to hook the IPod to. The guys took turns on the different boards, so of course they would have to stop every once in a while to change riders. Tucker would scream "go! go!" to Brad or whoever was driving. When they didn't listen right away, he decided to take matters into his own hands!
We all thought it was funny until we realized Tucker knew EXACTLY how to make the boat go! He tried to turn the key, then he went to move the throttle (I think it's called that) into forward motion. That's when Chris grabbed him and gave him a firm NO, while everyone else laughed at him.
On Saturday night Chris spent some time fishing off the dock. This was a slight problem, as Tucker wanted to be right with his daddy the entire weekend! So I had to be right behind both of them so that Tucker wouldn't fall or jump off the dock. I tried to take Tucker inside to play with the toys we brought...that lasted about 5 minutes:) So the two of us came back out and fed the fish lots of "Tuckerized" cheetos. Well they must have worked, because Chris caught a "big" fish!
Chris and I went to bed early, luckily Tucker fell right to sleep Saturday night! I asked Chris if he wanted to go back downstairs and hang out with everyone. He laughed at me, and then we both fell asleep too! Sunday morning Tucker woke up at 730 am, ready to go again! We told him that no one else was awake, and he had to stay inside for awhile. A few hours later he got to ride again.
This time we let Chris tube by himself so that he could go a little faster!
Tucker was a little upset at first, but then the boat took off...and he was at peace. I just love this picture!! Tucker is so happy and at peace when he is outside and in motion, and he was totally at home with the wind in his hair and the sun in his face:) He climbed on the boat like he owned the place.
After awhile it was really too hot to ride out in the sun. The guys went swimming in the shade, and of course Tucker joined them. He did not like wearing the life vest, but we kept it on him just in case. He floated around on the noodle with his Daddy and watched the brave adults swinging on the rope swing. Tucker cracked up each time someone jumped in the water. He also enjoyed floating in the Club 300, a blow up boat that Brad brought along. Brad is one of Tucker's favorite people, so he really enjoyed floating around with him.

Right before the 3 of us left, we took one last ride. Chris was pretty sunburned, so he sat this one out. Tucker enjoyed it, of course! We had a good weekend, but I am glad it is over. I need a rest, hahaha. So to add to Tucker's long wish list....a big boat, some tubes, and lakefront property:)

No comments:

Post a Comment