Monday, November 1, 2010

Quick Medical Update

Tucker is doing well medically lately, but I need to update on a few issues, mainly so I don't forget when they happened. I haven't gotten a chance to talk about this with anyone, so sorry if you are reading this here and it's the first you've heard about it. Dr T (lung doctor) called Friday afternoon, and he said he is faxing over Tucker's sleep study to Dr K. He is not making any changes for now, but he thought Dr K might have some ideas...why this wasn't faxed over 10 weeks ago when we got the results, I'm not sure...I have been calling the office and wondering what the plan is for my kid who barely sleeps (he goes to sleep-he just doesn't get any "real" or restful sleep, basically making it pointless) who has mito and therefore really needs his sleep. So the plan is to refer him to Dr K, which is fine, especially since Dr K already wanted Tucker to see Dr P in Houston, which is the doctor who specializes in lungs, sleep, and immunology in Houston. That was a lot of waiting for no real answers; we do see Dr T in December, maybe by that point Dr K will have looked over the sleep study and told him or us something. I also got a call on Friday from the motility doctor in New Orleans. Dr K recommended that Tucker see a motility specialist; this is someone who not only specializes in the Gastro Intestinal Tract (GI doctor), but someone who specializes in the motion of the digestive track. You chew and swallow your food, and gravity doesn't just take it through your body-there are many movements, in your esophagus, stomach, small intestine, and colon, that help your body to absorb the nutrients you need and then to excrete the waste properly. If something is wrong with this system, then it can affect everything else. Tucker's pedi had to fill out paperwork so the dr in New Orleans would see us, so I thought it would be weeks before we got a phone call. So I was surprised when the nurse called me last Friday and told us to come in Nov 2nd....I asked, "can we wait a little while?" She must have thought I was crazy! Tucker just missed 2 days of school last week, and he has a field trip this week to the Global Wildlife place, so I just want him to have one full week of school before he misses again for appointments. Not to mention that the motility doc will likely order many tests, and give us new very helpful information....but not information that I am really looking forward to getting..... So I am feeling like a pretty bad mom at this point, as now the appointment is 14 days later than it could have been....We have just been having such a good few days, and our last doctor's appointment actually brought good news. So I am not looking forward to starting up again. This week Tucker has regular school, then November 10th we will see the craniofacial team (8 specialists who come in and out and examine Tucker in a matter of hours, then meet afterwards and write a report on his head and facial issues), which is pretty stressful. Then the following week we see the motility specialist, then a trip to the dentist during the Thanksgiving holidays, then two appointments the first week of December-with his other GI (if we even keep her after the new appointment) and one with Dr T. We also have to fit in a follow-up appointment with the ENT in New Orleans to make a plan in case Tucker gets a cold...he still has a thin and floppy trachea, so I need to know at what point I should call her for steroids. We really only average one appointment per week, and we've had much busier times in our lives, but I am not looking forward to the next few weeks:( We have also been confused by Tucker's blood sugar lately. Just when Dr K said it was okay to just monitor him, his blood sugars started getting even higher. I'm not sure if I already put this in a previous post, but there are times when Tucker acts insane...running around, can't seem to stop himself, shrieking...we had attributed to his ADD/autism/just being a kid, but lately we have checked his blood sugar at that time. The other day it was 340 and just now Chris checked it and it was 347. Apparently, Tucker is having literal "sugar highs." Another time, right after he pooped it was over 360...which could be a bad sign for both his endo and GI status. So I am going to call the endocrinologist in BR tomorrow, to see what he thinks...the charts that both he and Dr K have seen don't have any readings above 300, so I want to see what he wants to do with that new information. Tucker has really been hilarious lately; he still talks a lot, and he is very into money right now! He likes to take money out of Chris's pockets and my wallet and put it in his Tiger bank. He even goes for the quarters, even though we try to keep those for ourselves:) Most of the time Chris just empties out Tucker's bank and lets him refill it with the same money, but I think Tucker has caught on to that trick! Tucker really enjoyed Trick or Treating, going get candy with a tube-fed child is quite an experience! He has no intention of eating any of it, but he is very particular about what he puts in his bucket. He tried to put all of his chocolate into Molli's bucket, but Chris and I put a stop to that! I think that starting the Melatonin for Tucker's sleep has really helped him. It is not supposed to make Tucker's sleep more restful, just help his body to relax to fall asleep in the first place. At first we were giving it to him early, so then he'd fall asleep but then wake up full of energy at 3am...not the best idea! So we have been giving it to him later, but he still falls asleep around 830 at night, and gets up around 7am, which is a huge improvement from his old 10pm bedtime. His sleep has made a big difference in his behavior-I'm not sure if it's affected his actual cognitive function, though. He got a "good" behavior last week (the day he got his eggs for a prize!) and then today he got his first "excellent" behavior ever:)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! you have been/are going to be very busy! thats quite a lot going on in Tucker's world. And I TOTALLY understand why you would want to wait on the appointment. I probably would have taken the Nov 2nd one, but that's me lol! But 14 days is seriously not bad at all. at least it's not 3 months or something.

    I hope all the appointments go well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to see a GI specialist the other day and they several different tests (this included the one when I posted that I was waiting at Oschner in N.O). I hope he doesn't have to do some of the test I did (since our issues are most likely totally different) but if he does, its not a big deal, just lots of being still and going back and forth to the doctor ever other day...Im sure he will do fine since his AWESOME mommy will be there to hold his hand and support him along the way! I had to do them by myself :( of course I am an adult and expected to do so, but it would have been nice to have someone there through all that craziness. Love ya, give Tucker some kisses from me!

    ReplyDelete